Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Kindness

"Whoever pursues righteousness and kindness will find life, righteousness, and honor." Proverbs 21:21 


Kindness. So simple, yet so hard. 


I love how precise Paul is when he is writing this--a lot of times, I think of love and kindness as the same thing. But they aren't. 


You see, you can love someone without being kind to them. I love my little sister, but I'm screaming at her more than I'm doing things for her. 


In fact, I think that that is one of the devil's favorite lies: Thinking that, because you love them, you are automatically kind to them. 


Because of this lie, we often wind up doing the opposite. Thinking that because you already love them,  you have no need to be kind to them. 


But don't get me wrong--you have to be kind to more then just the people you love. That right there is the hardest part. 


But, you know what? It is God's command to be kind to everyone, because He first loved us. We are without excuse. 


We, as Christians, must follow God's example of kindness, especially to those we don't love. 


~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment