Monday, October 17, 2011

Pure Hearts

"God, create a pure heart in me, and renew a right attitude within me." Psalm 51:10

Psalm 51 was written by King David after the prophet Nathan had confronted David about his affair with Bathsheba and plotting to kill her husband. David saw that what he had done was wrong. He realized he needed to repent and change his heart attitude. This psalm was written out of that.

David cries out for God to give him a new, "pure heart," because he realizes his is dead in sin. He asks God to "renew" his "attitude," or in some versions of the Bible - spirit. David basically says, I realize I was wrong and I know I can't fix my heart problem - only You can, God.

Now, maybe our sins don't seem so bad to us as David's do, but our hearts are dirty with sin, too. And though we don't have a prophet to point out our errors, we do have a conscience to remind us. Jesus died to cleanse our filthy hearts, and the Holy Spirit is in us to correct our attitudes and remind our spirit of godly things. If we repent and give up our proud hearts to God, He will make them new and beautiful. We don't have to remember our past sins anymore.

-Aylin

No comments:

Post a Comment