Monday, December 19, 2011

Standing Tall

"But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way." Daniel 1:8

I've been reading the Book of Daniel lately. The second half of the book is full of prophecy and revelation, but the first part of the book is about faithfulness to God. While I was reading it I was struck by Daniel and his friends' humility and courage. They faced the most powerful rulers in the known world at that time and said, "Sorry, but my God prohibits me from doing what you want." Just like that.

Even though they defied the men who thought they could harm them, they did not defy God. And that's what is important. God showed His approval of His servants, and His supreme power - and saved them again, and again, and again.

So, reading all that, it made me think. I'm not faced with a fiery furnace, being beheaded, or being eaten alive by lions. If Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego could stand up for their convictions with humbleness, why can't I? I don't have nearly the pressure to bend to worldly things as they did. Put into perspective, my stand for Christ should be much easier. So, I'm going to try today. I'm going to try not to snap at my sisters, give in to laziness, or hold on to anger. God's not asked much of me right now. It's not like I have to interpret dreams to a king, or anything!

-Aylin

No comments:

Post a Comment