Monday, January 9, 2012

An Awesome, Holy God

Food for thought...

22 Should you not fear me?” declares the LORD.
“Should you not tremble in my presence?
I made the sand a boundary for the sea,
an everlasting barrier it cannot cross.
The waves may roll, but they cannot prevail;
they may roar, but they cannot cross it.
23 But these people have stubborn and rebellious hearts;
they have turned aside and gone away.
24 They do not say to themselves,
‘Let us fear the LORD our God,
who gives autumn and spring rains in season,
who assures us of the regular weeks of harvest.’
25 Your wrongdoings have kept these away;
your sins have deprived you of good.
(Jeremiah 5:22-25)

Sometimes, I think we lose sight of how awesome, powerful, and holy God is. God is love. Yet, God is justice. He takes sin seriously. Although this was written thousands of years ago to Judah after Israel's destruction and captivity, it is applicable to us today.

We know God's standards and commands. Yet, sometimes, if we aren't careful, we can become like Judah. The people were saying, "Why is God angry? We're sorry for all we've done," but they still continued to do the same things as before. They did not have a genuine change in their heart, and though their words were right, their actions portrayed that they were lying to God. He wasn't fooled.

God asks for us to give our hearts to Him. He knows we will never be perfect in following Him, but He wants our hearts to be genuine in trying to live for Him. He doesn't ask for half-hearted submission - He asks for our lives.

With that in mind, I lay my "yes" on the table today, as I have to mentally do every day. God asks for nothing less then total submission to His will. He has a plan with what to do with my life, my heart and body, that I daily must decide to give to Him. So I strive to not be like Judah, an unrepentant nation after rebuke. They were white on the outside, but inside, the cup was filthy.

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship." Romans 12:1



-Aylin

No comments:

Post a Comment