Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Spirit

It's two days after Christmas, and I'm happily typing away in my brand new, super cozy finger-less gloves.  It's amazing how gloves without fingers can be so warm...

Anyway, I was thinking I would share a poem I wrote several years ago about Christmas.  It has to do with that feeling I sometimes get after the holidays are over.  You know -- when the gifts are all unwrapped, the food is digested, and all the hype and emotion and "Christmas Spirit" vanishes until next year.  Because the "holiday cheer" only stays during the holidays. (hence the name -- I know, genius, right?)  Then we're left with a sort of empty happiness.

The truth is, "Christmas Spirit" only last until December 25th.  After that, it's gone again.  The real spirit of Christmas, though, is Jesus.  He's the feeling of joy and peace and love -- only it doesn't have to disappear on December 26th.  It's something that can last forever, if we let it engulf us in it's radical radiance.

"Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”  John 4:13-14

So, here's that poem I wrote...


Saint Nicholas gives many gifts
And brings young children happiness,
But without his presents and his toys
He would not be anything to the girls and boys.

He cannot give them everlasting joy-
A love that makes them want to employ
And use for good all that they have
To make others brighten and be glad.

But I, though a little girl may be,
Know One who gives everlasting peace;
He brings joy that stays forever,
A joy that I can take wherever.

Not just a happiness that stays
For a certain amount of December days,
But a joy that I feel all year long
No matter even if things go wrong.

Please don't copy this poem without my permission.  Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment