Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Legacy of Love

As soon as they walked in the door, their faces lit up in surprise.  Everyone shouted "Happy Anniversary," and showered them with congratulations and hugs.

Throughout the evening, I watched all the happy people gathered around my grandparents.  I watched my grandparents renew their vows and cut the cake.  And it was such a precious surprise party -- because it was my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. 

They've spent the past five decades together.  Together they survived raising five children.  They survived a motorcycle accident that left my grandpa in a wheelchair.  They've gotten through fifty, whole years together.  Fifty years of laughter and pain, sorrow and joy.  And on that evening, they sat surrounded by children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews -- so many people who love them. 

They're giving us a legacy of love, strength, and commitment to God and to each other.  It's beautiful, and I won't forget it.

-Aylin

No comments:

Post a Comment